Sensitive Skin: Ingredient to Avoid


If you are like me and have extremely sensitive skin to the point that you stick to the products that haven't broken you out and are afraid to try new things.


Here is some advice.






Always check the ingredients on the products you use, even hair care, your hair is constantly touching your face. About 2 years ago I found myself with horrible cystic acne on the sides of my face, it was painful and unfortunately quite noticeable. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I did a little research and found that Bismuth Oxychloride, Cl 77163, is used as a coloring agent in a lot of makeup products including foundation, concealer, blush, bronzer, highlighter, and powders. And most importantly, that it is known for being a skin irritant in some people.


I realized this ingredient was what was causing my breakouts. I was using a foundation with Bismuth Oxychloride, still love the foundation, just can't wear it. My bronzers and blushes all had it in them. So needless to say I stopped using all those products and now make sure when I purchase face makeup that it does not have Bismuth Oxychloride in it.



Popular Makeup with Bismuth Oxychloride:
Nars Powder Blushes
Nars Power Bronzers
Tarte Amazonian Clay blushes
Lorac Perfectly Lit in "Spotlight"
Estee Lauder Maximum Coverage Foundation
Clinique Stay Matte Foundation
MAC Mineralize Blushes
MAC select Cover Up
Laura Mercier Shimmer Bloc
MAC powder Blushes
L'Oreal Color Riche Lipsticks
Revlon Super Lustrous Lipsticks



I have found that most high end blushes, bronzers, and highlighters have Bismuth Oxychloride in them. However, there are products I have found that don't and work amazingly well.



Bismuth Oxychloride free foundations:
Kat Von D Lock-It Foundation
Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation
CoverGirl 3-in-1 Foundation


For bronzer I've found that the Too Faced Chocolate soleil is the best, and most importantly, doesn't break me out.


For highlighters, Physicians Formula doesn't contain Bismuth Oxychloride and their shimmer strips are amazing for a highlight, as is The Balm's Mary Lou Manizer.


Blushes are the hardest for me. I've chosen to stick with drugstore brand blushes, as almost all high end blushes seem to have Bismuth Oxychloride in them, except for the Lorac Pro Cheek Stains and The Balm blushes, both of which are expensive but very good options. CoverGirl, NYX, and Essence all make great blushes for a very affordable price.



If you have sensitive skin, just remember, check the ingredients, this is just one ingredient that could be causing the problem.





Comments