Review: Rimmel Matte by Kate Lipsticks + Swatches

In my recent Ulta haul, which you can  see HERE, I picked up two of the Rimmel Matte by Kate lipsticks in shades 113 and 104 to go along with the shade 103 that I already own. They do not have proper shade names sadly. These are a completely matte finish lipstick available in most drugstores and Ulta for around $5.


The formula of these lipsticks is amazing! I find they are very creamy and glide on very easily onto the lips without streaking. And unlike most matte formulas that are drying on the lips, these ones do not make my lips feel like like they're cracking or in desperate need of lip balm. With the exception of shade 113, which you will see below.

These have very good lasting power on me. After about 3 to 4 hours of wear I notice the color drying down quite a bit and is in need of a touch up. However, it doesn't disappear near the center of my lips like the Bare Minerals Marvelous Moxie lipsticks do. The color wears down nicely without looking splotchy or streaky. Be aware that the color does transfer and doesn't set to a dry matte finish for several hours.

Most importantly to me, these don't cause any break outs around my mouth like most drugstore lipsticks seem to be doing. Curse you Maybelline.

Plus have a very nice sweet candy watermelon scent to them!



Shade 103 is a medium light pink that is perfect for everyday. Every time I wear this color I receive compliments on how beautiful it looks on me. I get about 4 hours wear before needing to reapply. It's a slightly cooler toned pink so it won't make your teeth look yellow.

NEED IT!
5.0/5




Shade 104 is similar to 103 but is a darker more mid toned berry color. This shade leans cooler than 103 and more appropriate to wear during the fall. The color is very opaque with just a couple swipes and no streaking. I get about 3 hours of wear before needing to reapply. If you're fair like me and wearing the dark reds is just a little too harsh, this would be perfect for you.



NEED IT! 
4.0/5



Shade 113 is the only nude shade in the range. This shade is a very light nude beige peach with just a hint of pink. It is extremely difficult to work with as its quite sheer. I'd recommend using a lip liner with this shade or applying some sort of concealer or base to the lips to enhance the color. While it is very creamy, it's quite streaky and make my lips look extremely flaky and chapped. SKIP IT!

LEAVE IT!
2.0/5





Comments