Review: Make Up For Ever Step 1 Skin Equalizer Mattifying Primer

Make Up For Ever Step 1 Skin Equalizer


On my recent trip to Sephora, I finally decided to bite the bullet and try out the new Make Up For Ever Step 1 Skin Equalizer primers. I picked up the Mattifying Primer for oily skin, because as you've probably figured out by now, I have the world's most oily skin.


I picked up the travel size (0.5 fl oz) which retail for $16 at Sephora and Make Up For Ever Counters. The full size (1 fl oz), retails for $36 at Sephora and Make Up For Ever Counters.


Many primers claim to help prolong the wear of your makeup, and with this primer, help control oil, so how does this primer measure up?


Let's get in to the review!



There are 10 primers available, from mattifying, to pore filling, hydrating, redness, to radiance enhancing, there's a primer for just about every skin type.


The primers come in a standard plastic squeeze tube, great for travel. However, I do not like the small tube the product comes out of. It makes it difficult to get enough product out.


This primer has a beige tint to it but it dries clear to the skin. The texture is not whipped or heavy, so it goes onto the skin very smoothly. It does not feel sticky or like you have put another layer of something onto your face.


This product claims to be:

"lightweight and creamy, leaving a more evenly-toned appearance, and increases foundation's hold...reduces shine for oily skin"



Claims


I will say, because of the mattifying aspect and the formula of this, it did make blending my foundation onto my face more difficult, it left certain areas difficult to blend and slightly patchy.


However, unlike most mattifying primers, this does not have a silicone texture to it!


Ingredients


As far as controlling oil throughout the day. After 3 to 5 hours, my skin had a noticeable "dew" to it, nothing too shiny or greasy but certainly glowy. After about 7 hours my face became very shiny and in need of some touchups. Keep in mind I do have very oily skin.


I did not notice that this helped prolong the wear of my makeup. I had the same amount of wear down from my foundation than I have had with other primers.


(L) Initial Application, (R) After 8 Hours


Overall, I think this is a solid ok primer for oily skin. It doesn't have a silicone texture, and it's paraben-free! If you have normal to combo/oily skin, this will help particularly during the summer. If you have very oily skin, like I do, this probably won't be your holygrail must-have for controlling oil.


LEAVE IT!
3.5/5




Comments