DIY Oil Facial Cleanser


DIY Oil Facial Cleanser


I have recently blogged about some DIY skincare recipes, feel free to view my Organic Makeup Remover HERE, and Charcoal Mask HERE.


I have become a chemist when it comes to my skincare. The more natural and organic I can make it, the better. 


So today, I finally have a recipe for all you fellow natural skincare lovers for an oil facial cleanser you can custom make to your skincare needs!


Let's get started!



I've struggled with acne and oily skin since I was a pre-teen. You name it, I've tried it. Proactiv, dried out my skin. Clean & Clear, couldn't get rid of acne scars. And acne spot treatments don't solve the problem, they just mask the outcome of my skin issues. 


After breaking in cystic acne during college, and resulting in some pretty nasty post acne scarring and pitting, I decided enough was enough. Time to create my own routine with ingredients that will truly benefit and help restore my skin's health!


If you haven't read the amazing benefits of oils and oil cleansing, I highly suggest googling it and doing your research to be sure this is the right method for you.


The oil cleansing method has helped reduce the amount of acne I have on a daily basis, and completely cleared up my post acne scarring. I still have slight pitting, but I expect it to be completely clear by the end of next year. 


The oil cleansing method can be applied to all skin types, oily to dry. The only thing that you need to change are the oils you use! 



There are 3 oils that you will need:


Carrier Oil
Castor Oil
Essential Oil



The first oil you'll start with is your carrier oil. This will make up the majority of your cleanser. There are many many different base oils you can use, depending on your skin type. Here are some carrier oils I would recommend.






Once you have your carrier oil picked out, the next step is to add castor oil. Castor oil, which is traditionally used as a laxative, has amazing skincare benefits! 


The fatty acids in castor oil help moisturize the skin, reduce scars, and prevent fine lines and wrinkles. When mixing your castor oil with your carrier oil, just remember, the oilier your skin, the more castor oil you'll add. 


Here's a quick guideline to follow:






Next comes my favorite part, adding essential oils!



There are many many essential oils on the market. Some are not meant for topical application, so please do some spot tests on your skin to make sure you don't react negatively to these oils. They are in their purest form and are full concentrated when used alone. 


The carrier oil and the castor oil will dilute these essential oils so they're perfectly safe to use every day. I would suggest adding your essential oils as your last step, and keeping it to less than 5%. 


Here are a few oils that I would recommend for these skin issues:






As you can read from above, Geranium is an excellent multi-purpose essential oil. If you get just one, get Geranium. 

Lemon is amazing for brightening and clarifying the skin, but the oil is photosensitive so if it comes in direct contact with light, it can cause a reaction. However, I've always used sunscreen following application and because it is used in small amounts and diluted, I've never had a problem. 




You can find most of these oils at GNC, Whole Foods, and your local Health Foods Stores. It does take a bit to get used to removing an oil from your face. I highly recommending using a hot washcloth to remove it, otherwise you will have a film left behind.


My personal recipe is 70% Grapeseed Oil, 30% Castor Oil, Lemon Oil, and Tea Tree Oil. So for those with very oily and acne prone skin this is a good combination to try. If you have existing acne and old acne scars, the combination of lemon and tea tree oil has been perfect!



If you guys have any questions about how to do this method, what oils to use, or whatever, leave me a comment below!



Comments