Review | Silk Naturals HD Cream Foundation


Silk Naturals HD Cream Foundation


I decided to pick up a sample of the Silk Naturals HD Cream Foundation with my latest Silk Naturals Haul. The samples are 99 cents, so they're definitely worth grabbing a few to try out before investing in the full size. The full size retails for $11.99 (12 g) and is available exclusively on the Silk Naturals Website


This foundation is 100% Natural, Cruelty Free, and Vegan.


Let's get in to the review!




Silk Naturals claims:


"100% natural, flawless coverage in a tube!  

Introducing HD Cream foundation with Ceramic Microspheres for a flawless airbrushed finish. Lightweight 100% natural formula won't crease or settle into fine lines. Natural matte finish that blends beautifully, and looks like healthy skin. Sets to a dry finish so you won't leave grease marks on your clothes or phone."



Packaging


As I did purchase the sample size, I have no opinion on the full size. The full size does come packaged in a plastic twist up tube. 


I find cream foundations---like this one---to not be the most sanitary. They are constantly being exposed to air, dirt, and the oils on our fingers and faces. 



Product


The actual foundation is a cream that is not sticky or too thick in consistency, and provides a light coverage. The coverage is enough to cancel out redness, but not enough to conceal imperfections such as acne.


The foundation is available in 24 shades; 8 in a cool undertone, 8 in neutral, and 8 in golden. I chose the shade N10, which is the lightest in the neutral undertone. 


This shade matches my skin tone perfectly. For reference, I wear an NC15 in MAC, 1N1 in Estee Lauder, 1.0 in Urban Decay, Lightness in Kjaer Weis, and Aspen in Alima Pure Pressed. During the Summer I would probably wear the shade N20.



When I compare it to the Kjaer Weis Cream Foundation, the Kjaer Weis is thicker and more emollient. The Silk Naturals is thinner in consistency so it takes quite a bit of product to build up the pigmentation.



Silk Naturals HD Cream Foundation in N10


Silk Naturals HD Cream Foundation in N10




Performance


Lately my skin has been very combination---I get oily throughout the day but I struggle with several dry patches randomly on my face. Given my current skin situation, I found that the foundation needs a moisturizing agent underneath---a facial oil, hydrating primer---for the foundation to apply smoothly.


When I used a buffing brush to apply the foundation, I found it applied the foundation streaky and it appeared very uneven across the face. It also emphasized all of the dry and built up texture on my skin---definitely exfoliate before applying this!


I had to build up the foundation with two layers to achieve the most even and highest coverage. For the best results, I recommend applying this foundation with your fingers or a sponge.



Throughout the day---even after setting this foundation with a setting powder---It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores---the foundation settled into my fine lines on my forehead and the smile lines around my mouth. So if you have aging or mature skin, I do not recommend this. 


If you struggle with acne---while this foundation will not aggravate it---the foundation picks up the texture of the acne and highlights the imperfection. The look of peeling skin on a zit is not cute...


The foundation wore well for about 6 hours before it started to separate. I did love that unlike the Kjaer Weis, this did not look like a  greasy mess after 8 hours. 



Ingredients:

Capryc/Capryllic Triglyceries, Ceramic Microspheres (Magnesium Silicate), Candelilla Wax.  Also contains:  Titanium Dioxide, Mica, Iron Oxides  



Overall


This foundation has an excellent shade range, and for the price it's a terrific option if you're just getting into non-toxic cosmetics. However, this does not apply easily or evenly to the face, and if you struggle with dry skin---this is not for you---it picks up on any spot of dryness. The fact that it also settles into fine lines and wrinkles throughout the day made the foundation unbearable for me to continue using on a daily basis. I'd say the only person who would benefit from this foundation are those with normal skin types who does not have problems with acne, fine lines, dry skin, or uneven skin texture. 


LEAVE IT!
3.0/5





Comments